12.15.2009

My Minds Eye manufacturer flower challenge

I bought a Silhouette this summer. One day I woke up and decided I was going to buy one of the oh-so-trendy die cutter machines...either the Cricut or the Silhouette.
So i proceeded to do tons of research. Like, an hours worth of searching some of my favorite blogs, reading opinions of people who I've never met, but still somehow place the trust of my nearly $200 worth of precious money. And because I have nearly 1700 fonts, I chose the Silhouette. May as well make good use of those fonts. Never mind that I only ever really use about 8 of them over and over. I've got 1700 and that is what counts. She who dies with the most fonts clogging up her computer wins, right?
I unwrapped the pretty, pretty machine, hooked it up to the old, slow computer that now sits on my scrappin' table so it could be solely dedicated to the Silhouette and the many layouts I was going to create with it. I tried to make one title, and the durn thing wouldn't cut. I let it sit for 6 months. But I couldn't sleep at night because I was not going to let that thing get the best of me.
Well, one day I stumbled upon the Silhouette Yahoo group, and that has since renewed my faith in the ol' machine. I found out that I was using too thick of cardstock, and would need to cut it all twice. That tip has made all the difference. And now I'm happy again! There is a bit of a learning curve, but I know I"ll grow to LOVE it quickly.
Anyhow, this is a layout I did for My Minds Eye's blog challenge 6 to use paper flowers. I punched the flowers from a Sizzix die that has 4 sizes, then interchanged them all. The title was the first one that I have successfully used from the Silhouette (hence why I prefaced this post with that little story).

No comments: