2.12.2012

A little heart day love.

I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day. It doesn't make me all happy and giddy. But seeing some of the fantastic things on Pinterest wore off on me. I got a late start, and Saturday I joined in the holiday cheer by putting up a few decorations. We decided to make heart Perler bead magnets for each of the kindergardeners in Zack's class--heck, its only 21 -- and we'll even personalize a few (seebelow). Gifts for teachers (left).
My favorite candy dish from Inspired Generations:
How adorable is the spoon?!?
A swag for the mantle (made last year):
Decor inspired by Crafts Direct:
And I did make these little yummies:
However, mine did not look as cute as these. Why, you ask? I drove to four stores to find the Hugs. FOUR. Really? A mad rush on Hugs here in town? By the fourth store, I sure as heck wasn't going to give up, because now I was really hungry for these, and kept thinking of the picture opportunity of making them with the kids. All out of stores to try, I finally rationalized that the caramel Hugs would work just as well as the plain ones, and they were the only ones available. I'm here to tell you the caramel ones are NOT the same. Caramel melts through the holes in the pretzels and sticks to the pan. Then these little cuties don't look so cute anymore. So mine were a big sticky blob in the container. Of course my chocoholic kids ate them anyhow. So it all worked out in the end.
And a couple things I am in love with right now:
I just finished Mad Men Season 1, and am ready to get into season 2. I'm a little late to the Mad Men party, but I am ADDICTED. Do you watch it? I'm loving all the little funnies of the 1950s: women smoking/drinking while pregnant, kids not in car seats, and the prim and proper obedience of the wives with dinner on the table every night, dressed in heels, lipstick fresh, hair set. All while smokin' a cigarette.
And in the same genre, I'm also reading this:
so I feel like I"m in a real time warp. It was a coincidence, but pretty funny that it is all taking place the same time.
I'm reading it on my Kindle, which I fell even MORE in love with when I suddenly finished Mad Men season 1 DVDs at midnight, and needed to see season2 right. NOW. So I downloaded the first episode on my Kindle, while still in bed, for only $1.99. How amazing is that?!?
Happy Valentine's Day all!
Have you liked Paper Miniskirt's Facebook page? Find it here.

No comments: